This route approaches Kibo from the west using the Lemosho ascent, but then circles clockwise around to the quieter northern slopes and onward to the east, offering outstanding views from all sides. The north flank of Kilimanjaro is remote and less trafficked, so the environment is less disturbed and offers the best option to get away from other tourists. The route is well-suited for climbers who are seeking an enjoyable backpacking and camping experience without a frantic push for the summit. This allows for superior acclimatization and nearly guaranteed likelihood of reaching the Roof of Africa!
The Northern circuit route itinerary includes two nights before the climb at SENE’s exclusive Mbahe Village Farm Cottages for rest, cultural immersion and climb preparation, and, after a hearty celebration lunch with the whole team on private SENE land near the exit gate to say goodbye to the mountain crew, the trip leaders will bring you to the one night after in Moshi Town at AMEG Lodge where you can relax, have dinner, and enjoy its spacious garden and swimming pool.
Download a Detailed Itinerary (PDF)
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Village cultural walk and conditioning hike. Rest; climb preparation
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
Londorossi Gate (6,890’) to Big Tree Camp (8,700’).
||Big Tree Camp (8,700’) to Shira 1 Camp (11,420’).
||Shira 1 Camp (11,420’) to Shira 2 Camp (12,750’).
||Shira 2 Camp (12,750’) to Moir Hut Camp Camp (13,630’).
||Moir Hut Camp (13,630’) to Pofu Camp (13,230’).
||Pofu Camp (13,230’) to Third Cave Camp (12,910’).
||Third Cave Camp (12,910’) to School Hut Camp (15,480’).
||School Hut Camp (15,480’) to Crater Camp (18,800’).
||Crater Camp (18,800’), to Uhuru Peak (19,340’) to Millennium Camp (12,530’).
||Millennium Camp (12,530’) to Mweka Gate (5,380’).
Climb ends. Celebration Lunch
AMEG Lodge, Moshi Town.
Northern Circuit Route
The Northern Circuit Route
Per Person, Double Occupancy (Single Supplement US$475)
- All accommodations and meals for 13 days / 12 nights
- Services of trip leader, climbing guides, and mountain crew
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping, and rescue fees
- All camping and dining equipment (excluding sleeping bag and pad)
- Portable private toilet with bio-degradable waste system (Cleanwaste®) at all camps
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber) and supplemental oxygen
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport and to/from park entrance/exit gates
- Bottled water at Mbahe; filtered water (by Katadyn Expedition system®) on climb
- Guided Mbahe Village walking tour
- Coffee, teas, cocoa, milk, juices
- Guided Moshi town walking tour
Does Not Include
Tips and gratuities to leaders, guides, crew, or other staff; additional accommodations and meals made necessary by airline schedule changes, inability to complete the climb, or other factors; pre‐trip expenses such as immunizations, travel insurance, passports, and visas; international airfare; airport departure taxes; and any expenses of a personal nature such as souvenirs and laundry.
Schedule: Northern Circuit Route
Photo Credits: Amy Donohue-Babiak, Austin Herman, Marty Raphael, Sara Robinson