Starting from the drier north side of Kilimanjaro near the Kenya border, the Rongai route is a less traveled trail that allows discriminating trekkers to distance themselves from the busier routes on the lower elevations. The Rongai route offers a variety of fabulous views and vistas that most climbers never get to see, and the possibility of observing wildlife at a safe distance.
The Rongai route passes through lush farmland and pine and cypress forests before ascending into the rainforest where you may see troupes of black and white colobus monkeys. In the higher moorland zone we enjoy views of the Kenyan plains rich with game. The final ascent passes the Hans Meyer Cave and reaches the crater rim at Gillman’s Point before following the rim path to the summit at Uhuru Peak. The itinerary includes two nights before and one night after the climb at SENE’s exclusive Mbahe Village Farm Cottages for rest, cultural immersion, climb preparation, and our famous celebration party and the awarding of certificates.
Download a Detailed Itinerary (PDF)
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Village cultural walk, rest, climb preparation.
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages (6,000′).
Nalemoru Gate (6,560′) to Simba Camp (8,730′).
||Simba Camp (8,730′) to Kikelewa Camp (12,010′).
||Kikelewa Camp (12,010′) to Mawenzi Tarn Camp (14,150′).
||Mawenzi Tarn Camp (14,150′) to Horombo Camp (12,200′).
||Horombo Camp (12,200′) to School Hut Camp (15,750′).
||School Hut Camp (15,750′) to Uhuru Peak (19,340′) to Horombo Camp (12,200′).
||Horombo Camp (12,200′) to Marangu Gate (6,100′) to Mbahe Farm House (6,000′).
Celebration party, Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
The Rongai Route
Per Person, Double Occupancy (Single Supplement US$400)
- All accommodations and meals for 10 days / 9 nights
- Services of trip leader, climbing guides, and mountain crew
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping, and rescue fees
- All camping and dining equipment (excluding sleeping bag and pad)
- Portable private toilet with bio-degradable waste system (Cleanwaste®) at all camps
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber) and supplemental oxygen
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport and to/from park entrance/exit gates
- Bottled water at Mbahe; filtered water (by Katadyn Expedition system®) on climb
- Guided Mbahe Village walking tour
- Coffee, teas, cocoa, milk, juices
Does Not Include
Tips and gratuities to leaders, guides, crew, or other staff; additional accommodations and meals made necessary by airline schedule changes, inability to complete the climb, or other factors; pre‐trip expenses such as immunizations, travel insurance, passports, and visas; international airfare; airport departure taxes; and any expenses of a personal nature such as souvenirs and laundry.
Contact us to discuss the dates you would like to climb, or see the calendar below for a list of confirmed Rongai climbs. Join a confirmed group or start a new climb group (2 persons minimum required to start a new group unless paying for a solo supplement). Private climbs can also be scheduled.