The Machame route starts above the picturesque mountain village of Machame on the south side of Kilimanjaro. After passing through the forest and into the moorland zone, we clamber up and over some rocks and eventually emerge onto the Shira Plateau. We then proceed counter-clockwise below the southern face of Kibo, climb Lava Tower for magnificent 360 degree vistas, ascend the Great Barranco Wall, a challenging and exhilarating rock scramble, and approach Uhuru Summit from Barafu and the ridge that abuts the Southeast Valley. The climb from Barafu offers incredible views of Mawenzi Peak, Kilimanjaro’s remnant volcanic cone. The Machame route itinerary includes two nights before and one night after the climb at SENE’s exclusive Mbahe Village Farm Cottages for rest, cultural immersion, climb preparation, and our famous celebration party and the awarding of certificates.
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Village cultural walk, rest, climb preparation.
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages (6,000′).
Machame Gate (6,000’) to Machame Camp (9,950’).
||Machame Camp (9,950’) to Shira Camp (12,620’).
||Shira Camp (12,620’) to Lava Tower Camp (15,230’).
||Lava Tower Camp (15,230’) to Karanga Valley Camp (13,250’).
||Karanga Valley Camp (13,250’) to Barafu Camp (15,360’).
||Barafu Camp (15,360’) to Uhuru Peak (19,340’)
to Millennium Camp (12,530’).
||Millennium Camp (12,530’) to Mweka Gate (5,380’).
Celebration party, Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
To July 2013: US $3,275
From July 2013: US $3,425
Per Person, Double Occupancy (Single Supplement US$400)
- All accommodations and meals for 10 days / 9 nights
- Services of trip leader, climbing guides, and mountain crew
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping, and rescue fees
- All camping and dining equipment (excluding sleeping bag and pad)
- Portable private toilet with bio-degradable waste system (Cleanwaste®) at all camps
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber) and supplemental oxygen
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport and to/from park entrance/exit gates
- Guided Mbahe Village walking tour
- Bottled water at Mbahe; filtered water (by Katadyn Expedition system®) on climb; coffee, teas, cocoa, milk, juices
Does Not Include
Tips and gratuities to leaders, guides, crew, or other staff; additional accommodations and meals made necessary by airline schedule changes, inability to complete the climb, or other factors; pre‐trip expenses such as immunizations, travel insurance, passports, and visas; international airfare; airport departure taxes; and any expenses of a personal nature such as souvenirs and laundry.
Photo Credits: Stephan Repke, Seth Phillips-Olson, Ankur Bahl