The Machame route starts above the picturesque mountain village of Machame on the south side of Kilimanjaro. After passing through the forest and into the moorland zone, we clamber up and over some rocks and eventually emerge onto the Shira Plateau. We then proceed counter-clockwise below the southern face of Kibo, climb Lava Tower for magnificent 360 degree vistas, ascend the Great Barranco Wall, a challenging and exhilarating rock scramble, and approach Uhuru Summit from Barafu and the ridge that abuts the Southeast Valley. The climb from Barafu offers incredible views of Mawenzi Peak, Kilimanjaro’s remnant volcanic cone.
The Machame route itinerary includes two nights before the climb at SENE’s exclusive Mbahe Village Farm Cottages for rest, cultural immersion and climb preparation, and, after a hearty celebration lunch with the whole team on private SENE land near the exit gate to say goodbye to the mountain crew, the trip leaders will bring you to the one night after in Moshi Town at AMEG Lodge where you can relax, have dinner, and enjoy its spacious garden and swimming pool.
Download a Detailed Itinerary (PDF)
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Village cultural walk, rest, climb preparation.
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages (6,000′).
Machame Gate (6,000’) to Machame Camp (9,950’).
||Machame Camp (9,950’) to Shira Camp (12,620’).
||Shira Camp (12,620’) to Lava Tower Camp (15,230’).
||Lava Tower Camp (15,230’) to Karanga Valley Camp (13,250’).
||Karanga Valley Camp (13,250’) to Barafu Camp (15,360’).
||Barafu Camp (15,360’) to Uhuru Peak (19,340’)
to Millennium Camp (12,530’).
||Millennium Camp (12,530’) to Mweka Gate (5,380’).
Climb ends. Celebration Lunch.
AMEG Lodge, Moshi Town
The Machame Route
Per Person, Double Occupancy (Single Supplement US$400)
- All accommodations and meals for 10 days / 9 nights
- Services of trip leader, climbing guides, and mountain crew
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping, and rescue fees
- All camping and dining equipment (excluding sleeping bag and pad)
- Coffee, teas, cocoa, milk, juices
- Portable private toilet with bio-degradable waste system (Cleanwaste®) at all camps
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber) and supplemental oxygen
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport and to/from park entrance/exit gates
- Bottled water at Mbahe; filtered water (by Katadyn Expedition system®) on climb
- Guided Mbahe Village walking tour
- Guided Moshi town walking tour
Does Not Include
Tips and gratuities to leaders, guides, crew, or other staff; additional accommodations and meals made necessary by airline schedule changes, inability to complete the climb, or other factors; pre‐trip expenses such as immunizations, travel insurance, passports, and visas; international airfare; airport departure taxes; and any expenses of a personal nature such as souvenirs and laundry.
Photo Credits: Stephan Repke, Seth Phillips-Olson, Ankur Bahl