The Western Breach
The Lemosho Crater Route is our most popular route due to its beauty, the long acclimatization time, and the excitement of spending an overnight at 18,800 feet inside the crater on Kilimanjaro. The nine day route takes us from the west across the Shira Plateau with an ascent to the base of the Lava Tower, which you will be able to climb for magnificent 360 degree vistas. In the early morning, we approach the crater from the southwest through the Western Breach; a rock scramble made challenging by snow, loose rocks and high altitude. After an overnight camped in the soft sand of the crater, we have a sunrise climb to the summit before descending to the southeast and incredible views of Mawenzi Peak. The itinerary includes two nights before at SENE’s exclusive Mbahe Village Farm Cottages for rest, cultural immersion, and climb preparation, plus an extra night at Simba Farm, near the trailhead in West Kilimanjaro. After touching the Roof of Africa, enjoy one final night at Mbahe for our famous celebration party and the awarding of certificates.
Mt. Meru as seen from Kilimanjaro
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Village cultural walk, rest, climb preparation.
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages (6,000′).
||Transfer to West Kilimanjaro and Simba Farm, near the trailhead. Conditioning hike to a gorge in the mountain forest above the farm.
Simba Farm (5,800′).
Londorossi Gate (6,890’) to Big Tree Camp (8,700’).
||Big Tree Camp (8,700’) to Shira 1 Camp (11,420’).
||Shira 1 Camp (11,420’) to Shira 2 Camp (12,750’).
||Shira 2 Camp (12,750’) to Lava Tower Camp (15,230’).
||Lava Tower Camp (15,230’). Acclimatization day.
||Lava Tower Camp (15,230’) to Arrow Glacier Camp (15,980’).
||Arrow Glacier Camp (15,980’) to Crater Camp (18,800’).
||Crater Camp (18,800’) to Uhuru Peak (19,340’) to Millennium Camp (12,530’).
||Millennium Camp (12,530’) to Mweka Gate (5,380’).
Celebration party, Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
Lemosho Crater Route
Price: To June, 2013 US $4,075
From June, 2013 US $4,275
Per Person, Double Occupancy (Single Supplement US$450)
- All accommodations and meals for 13 days / 12 nights
- Services of trip leader, climbing guides, and mountain crew
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping, and rescue fees
- All camping and dining equipment (excluding sleeping bag and pad)
- Portable private toilet with bio-degradable waste system (Cleanwaste®) at all camps
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber) and supplemental oxygen
- Use of Black Diamond Half Dome® helmets – required on the Western Breach ascent
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport and to/from park entrance/exit gates
- Bottled water at Mbahe; filtered water (by Katadyn Expedition system) on climb; coffee, teas, cocoa, milk, juices
- Guided Mbahe Village walking tour
Does Not Include
Tips and gratuities to leaders, guides, crew, or other staff; additional accommodations and meals made necessary by airline schedule changes, inability to complete the climb, or other factors; pre‐trip expenses such as immunizations, travel insurance, passports, and visas; international airfare; airport departure taxes; and any expenses of a personal nature such as souvenirs and laundry.
Schedule: Lemosho Crater Route
Photo Credits: Sandy McFarren, Dan Logen