The Lemosho Crater Route is our most popular route due to its beauty, the long acclimatization time, and the excitement of spending an overnight at 18,800 feet inside the crater on Kilimanjaro. The nine day route takes us from the west across the Shira Plateau, with an ascent to the base of
the majestic Lava Tower. From Lava Tower we climb the Barranco Wall and approach the summit via the Barafu Camp ridge. After the overnight camped in the soft sand of the crater, we have a sunrise climb to Uhuru Peak before descending toward the southeast and incredible views of Mawenzi, Kilimanjaro’s remnant volcanic cone.
The itinerary includes includes two nights before the climb at SENE’s exclusive Mbahe Village Farm Cottages for rest, cultural immersion and climb preparation, and, after a hearty celebration lunch with the whole team on private SENE land near the exit gate to say goodbye to the mountain crew, the trip leaders will bring you to the one night after in Moshi Town at AMEG Lodge where you can relax, have dinner, and enjoy its spacious garden and swimming pool.
Mt. Meru as seen from Kilimanjaro
Download a Detailed Itinerary (PDF)
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages.
||Village cultural walk, rest, climb preparation.
Mbahe Village Farm Cottages (6,000′).
Londorossi Gate (6,890’) to Big Tree Camp (8,700’).
||Big Tree Camp (8,700’) to Shira 1 Camp (11,420’).
||Shira 1 Camp (11,420’) to Shira 2 Camp (12,750’).
||Shira 2 Camp (12,750’) to Lava Tower Camp (15,230’).
||Lava Tower Camp (15,230’) to Karanga Camp (13,250’),
||Karanga Camp (13,250’) to Barafu Camp (15,360’).
||Barafu Camp (15,360’) to Crater Camp (18,800’).
||Crater Camp (18,800’) to Uhuru Peak (19,340’) to Millennium Camp (12,530’).
||Millennium Camp (12,530’) to Mweka Gate (5,380’).
Climb ends. Celebration lunch.
AMEG Lodge, Moshi Town.
Lemosho Crater Route
The Lemosho Crater Route
Per Person, Double Occupancy (Single Supplement US$450)
- All accommodations and meals for 12 days / 11 nights
- Services of trip leader, climbing guides, and mountain crew
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping, and rescue fees
- All camping and dining equipment (excluding sleeping bag and pad)
- Bottled water at Mbahe; filtered water (by Katadyn Expedition system®) on climb
- Portable private toilet with bio-degradable waste system (Cleanwaste®) at all camps
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber) and supplemental oxygen
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport and to/from park entrance/exit gates
- Coffee, teas, cocoa, milk, juices
- Guided Mbahe Village walking tour
- Guided Moshi town walking tour
Does Not Include
Tips and gratuities to leaders, guides, crew, or other staff; additional accommodations and meals made necessary by airline schedule changes, inability to complete the climb, or other factors; pre‐trip expenses such as immunizations, travel insurance, passports, and visas; international airfare; airport departure taxes; and any expenses of a personal nature such as souvenirs and laundry.
Schedule: Lemosho Crater Route
Photo Credits: Sandy McFarren, Dan Logen, Nathalie Pigache